24 October 2008

Friday photo - a hunter's view in Zakynthos

Today I'm joining in with the Friday Photo at Delicious Baby, from my sunbed on the Greek island of Zakynthos, to bring you a photo with a story behind it.

This morning I walked up with my husband, through the olive groves behind my sister's house on the island of Zante to admire the view over the bay. Every so often we would find a chair positioned somewhat incongruously in a clearing. At first I thought that someone had left them there so they could pause and admire the view. But then the spent shotgun cartridges in the vicinity gave me a clue.

Admiring the view over the sea and olive groves near Argassi



Back to Travel Blog Home

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great story. Pictures are better with a great story.

I remember seeing shot up sign posts in the back roads of Crete. Kids training?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful view, and a great story to go with it.

Anonymous said...

Well now, I'll just have to add a visit to the Ionian islands to my list of places to visit - it looks gorgeous.
We have family on Paros, so we've spent quite a bit of time in the Cyclades. I think you've given me an idea for my next Friday photo post...

Unknown said...

Did it make you nervous at all walking out there? I know that during hunting season around here they'll shoot at anything that moves!

Nice photo though - you look relaxed!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful day...I can see why you couldn't resist taking a seat and enjoying the view.

Walking around in the woods during hunting season (particularly once firearms season starts up for deer hunting in November) usually requires wearing a blaze orange vest and a loud singing voice! We don't have to worry much about that in metro Detroit, though.

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I love how you start with your assumption (which would make sense if you were in California or Oregon) and then reveal the truth and how it relates to the culture you're in.