23 August 2008

Window shopping for coral in Sardinia

When on holiday I spend idle hours window shopping which I could never afford at home. I admire the handicrafts in shops designed to tempt the relaxed holiday-maker into parting with their money. Here on the coast of Sardinia there are many jewellery shops filled with coral jewellery, harvested from the seas around Alghero.

P1100959

Although it's attractive, I always thought that it was better to enjoy the beauties of the sea by diving or snorkling, rather than removing shells or coral and destroying the natural environment. Am I wrong? It's obviously not such a concern here in Sardinia. But if I'm tempted I think I'd rather splash out on the intricate gold or silver filigree jewellery which is also a traditional craft here in Sardinia.

Read more of this article on my new travel blog at Heatheronhertravels.com

Back to Travel Blog Home

No comments: