19 April 2008

The Cathedral in Valencia

After our picnic from the Mercado Central I decided to take a look at the Cathedral of Santa Maria, but as my family didn't share my enthusiasm for old churches I left them relaxing in the Plaza de la Virgin while I took a look.

The entrance cost €4 including an audio-guide, although you can go in the left hand side of the door and have a brief look from the lobby without paying. The cathedral is richly decorated and there are many beautiful side chapels which the audio-guide will tell you about, including one containing the preserved arm of San Vincente the martyr.




On the far right is a statue of Our Lady of the Choir surrounded by fresh flowers. Mothers-to-be come here to pray in front of the statue for a safe delivery and then walk around the church nine times, in memory of the nine months that Our Lady was carrying Jesus.

Read more of this article on my new travel blog at Heatheronhertravels.com

Back to Travel Blog Home

No comments: